Friday, September 5, 2008

My first blog.

This is my first time blogging and to be honest, I'm pretty excited about it! I guess, this is a good time to share some information about myself. Anyway, my name is Melissa Shaw, and I am currently in my sixth year of college at William Paterson University. I will be graduating after the completion of this semester (which in turn means I'll be a January '09 grad).

I began my college career in 2003 by attending the University of Nevada Las Vegas and in 2006 I transfered to William Paterson. I know, dumb move...huh? But if you lived in Las Vegas for 3 years like I did, you'd want to move too. I saw somethings that no one would ever want to see; the grim side of Las Vegas.

On the other hand, I am an English (writing) major and will be receiving certifications in elementary education as well as in special education. Upon graduation I will have completed 164 credits...kind of ridiculous, but hey...I'll have a B.A.!

As for my education certifications I've completed two practicums and student teaching, so right now I'm just taking two advanced writing night classes.

What else...I have a per-diem job (pretty much an "on call" job) at Saint Clare's Hospital working in the radiology department. I don't really intend to stay there too much longer, as I have been promised to cover a friends maternity leave from teaching.

Other than that, I like to read, but the sad thing is I read a lot of children's literature, because I have a four year old nephew who is with me every weekend (due to my brothers absence because he is in the Navy). But when I do find time, I read Nicholas Sparks and basically books about different disabilities people have. This past summer, I managed to get through the book Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. I highly recommend it for anyone who is facing a struggle in their life...it is truly inspiring!

Well, I hope this semester brings fun and excitement, and I look foward to working with all of you! Thanks for taking the time to read this. Good luck and God Bless!

No comments: