Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Wubulous World of Books That I'm Reading


So, we were asked to blog about something we're reading in another class. Well, I only have one other class, and that is Technical Writing. Therefore, the only book I'm reading (for that class) is Technical Writing for a Technical World (or something like that). It's a pretty boring book...just a ton of information spewed out....and you try to absorb it in your brain, but it's pretty impossible to know everything that the book is trying to tell you.

Anyway, on the other hand, I am currently teaching some classes (grades K-5) and every now and then I tutor. So, if you want to know what I'm having my students read (which in turn means I'm reading the book as well) I'll be more than happy to tell you about it.

The book that my 5th grade students are reading is called Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. This book is pivotal to what we are learning about in social studies at the current moment, the Holocaust. The book shows you what it was like to live during this era being Jewish in Copenhagen, Denmark. It encourages an array of emotion, and at times can be almost overwhelming (especially for my 5th grade students).

As a teacher, I feel that it is important to read this book aloud as a whole class, because it adds a different element. (Especially because many of my students just stare at the words on the page...and make no sense of it all). Also, when I read the book aloud it seems to take them on a journey because as I read I use different voices to illuminate each character. I really feel that this book is an important piece of literature, and no matter how old or young you are I suggest you read this book at least once...so that you gain a greater sense of the history of the world.

As for my younger grades (K-2) we are really focusing on brief children's stories or maybe every now and then a "chapter book" such as, Junie B. Jones. Right now, a classic book, I am reading with my 1st and 2nd grade students (because it is a combined class) is Where the Wild Things Are. I'm sure you are all familiar with this book and the journey it can take a young child's mind on. It's amazing how the author captivates every aspect of a child. From having the main character (Max) go around the house dressed in a wolf costume to being sent to your room without supper and letting your mind go on a wild journey. It truly is an amazing story, and can be the precursor to letting students see how to let your mind go and get your every thought on paper.

As for my 3rd and 4th grade students I'm really trying to work on finding books that their peers are reading, but are "dumbed" down so that they can read them. In other words, if any of you are ever so compelled (you could make a fortune out of this) take a book/novel, and make it simpler so that my students could read and understand...you'd make a fortune. I've found Shakespeare's A Mid Summer's Night Dream written for their understanding and they loved it. Who would have thought that special education students would love Shakespeare? Anyway...if anyone has any suggestions...please please please...let me know!

Other than that, that's about all I'm reading (for school). For my own pleasure I'm working my way through the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. I'm finally on the 3rd book, and I'm absolutely hooked. Can't wait for the movie to come out next month. Well, I hope you found this, at least, somewhat interesting, and perhaps....if you haven't already... you'll pick up Number the Stars and start reading.

-Melissa

1 comment:

A Quinlan said...

This is a great round up of your current reading--thanks. I love Where the Wild Things Are and long ago gave it to my nieces and read it to them when I visited. Now 15 and 17, the girls recently gave me a WtWTA T-shirt that I wear all the time. I've heard about the Twilight series and have two friends eagerly awaiting the movie... As for your money making idea--thanks!